2020 FA ILBs

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

2020 FA ILBs

Postby DeadRinger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:09 am

In order of best to worst, according to the website I’m getting this from. There are 4 in this site’s top 100 FAs. Who do you like?

Cory Littleton - LA Rams - 26 yrs old, out of U of Washington
Blake Martinez - GB - 26 yrs old, Stanford
Joe Schobert - CLE - 26 yrs old, Wisconsin
Danny Trevathan - CHI - 29 yrs old, Kentucky

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Re: 2020 FA ILBs

Postby silver & black » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:01 pm

Schobert.... if he doesn't break the bank. But then, what do I care.... it isn't my money.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby DeadRinger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:28 pm

I think Martinez is overrated. He’s been there on some really shitty GB defenses.

I watched Littleton get torched in last year’s playoff game vs the Saints. They really abused him if I recall correctly.

Trevathan’s a little small for my tastes. 230 is just not MLB size in my book. And he’s going to be 30. We need to stay young.

Schobert is just about prototypical. A tough kid, 6’1”, 245 lbs, and seems to just be universally respected. Browns fans seem pissed they’re going to let him walk.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby DeadRinger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:35 pm

From NFL.com earlier in the season:

Browns' Joe Schobert 'one of best' LBs 'right now'

By Grant Gordon NFL.com
Published: Nov. 30, 2019 at 10:12 a.m.

As bedlam broke out in the waning seconds of the first meeting between the Browns and Steelers this season, it overshadowed not just a Cleveland victory, but a sensational night from linebacker Joe Schobert.

Just a week later, as Cleveland won again, huge days were had by Baker Mayfield and Jarvis Landry.

All the while, the quiet storm that is Schobert raged on, putting together outstanding back-to-back outings during a stellar campaign that's just suddenly developing a groundswell of notoriety that's so richly beckoned.

"Joe is playing at a high level," Browns defensive coordinator Steve Wilks said Friday, via team transcript. "Probably one of the best linebackers in the league right now in how he is performing. He is a leader for us. He commands the defense out there, getting everybody aligned and things that we ask of him. I am excited about his performance thus far this year, and hopefully, he can keep it going."

In the Browns' 21-7 win over the Steelers on Nov. 14 that's remembered for unfortunate reasons, Schobert was simply phenomenal. Along with a game-high 10 tackles, Schobert notched two interceptions, four passes defended, two tackles for loss, two quarterback hits and a sack as he filled up the stat line.

An encore came in the Browns' win over the Dolphins in which Schobert turned in four tackles, four passes defended and two interceptions -- becoming just the fourth linebacker in the Super Bowl era to tally multiple picks in back-to-back contests. With that outing, Schobert was voted AFC Defensive Player of the Week for the first time.

"It was cool," Schobert said of the honor. "I did not really think [about it] much. I think it was cooler for my family members or people who support me. In the grand scheme of things, I do not know -- it is cool to get recognition, but it is just a weekly award."

Schobert's statistical line for the season showcases a little bit of everything. Far and away tops on the team, Schobert boasts 96 tackles to go along with six tackles for loss, nine passes defended, four quarterback hits, four interceptions, two sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

In the midst of a tumultuous Browns season that's likely at its high point so far, Schobert has been a constant standout and the only Cleveland defensive player to start every game.

By all accounts, he should be headed to the second Pro Bowl of his career.

"I think I am just going to do my job, and like I said, if I do the right things, if I do what I am told to do and full confidence in my abilities, I am going to end up where I want to be at the end of the year," said Schobert, who had a season-high 16 tackles in a Week 4 win over the Ravens. "I think it is definitely having a good season, and we will see where that leads."

On a team with big names and big personalities, Schobert doesn't command the spotlight.

Tackles and excellent defensive play are in abundance with Schobert, not sound bytes.

As eyes will be drawn to the Browns-Steelers rematch, interest certainly won't be surrounding Schobert despite the outstanding game he had when the teams clashed two weeks ago.

That's just the way things seem to be going for the quiet storm in the middle of the Browns defense.

"Joe has that consistency every day in practice," Wilks said. "He is smart, he understands, he studies film and he has great anticipation in exactly what is coming. We always talk about the formation is talking to you, and you have to listen with your eyes. He does some great things in regards to that pre-snap/post-snap play, and he puts himself in position to make plays

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby piratepride » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:35 pm

I like Joe Sherbert or however you pronounce his last name. Also heard Littleton is good against the pass, and don't recall him getting torched by Brees. Either way they'll be better than our second string guys! Sign them up Mike!

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:35 am

PFF rankings for this past season

Littleton ranked #7

Trevathan ranked #38

Schobert ranked #48

Martinez ranked #52

This was Littleton's best season by far. Last year's PFF score would have made him the #24th rank this season. He's getting better every year.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum