We pick #12 and #19

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

We pick #12 and #19

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:11 am

There are only 2 QBs in this draft I would want us to take - Burrow or Herbert.

Burrow's going #1 overall to someone. If the Bengals are smart they'll stay pat and take him. The Dolphins have a much better chance of moving up for Burrow than we do. But it's a distinct possibility - we COULD put a package together that CIN couldn't say "no" to. Those 2 first-rounders would go a LONG way towards getting us that #1 overall. But Burrow was a 1-year wonder. But what freakin phenomenal year it was, eh? He'd need JUST the right coach and scheme to be successful out of the chute.

Then there's Herbert. Ceiling is sky-high and the kid had his best season by far this year. 32 TD passes and only 5 INTs. Had his team ranked #13 and took out #5 Utah in the PAC 12 championship game - although that was mostly due to the run game. 3300 yds, 67%. Dude savd his best for last. He's 6'6", 237 lbs - better than prototypical size, with a monster arm.

So who REALLY needs a new QB?

CIN, no doubt.

MIA, no question.

If Philip Rivers retires, Chargers could go to the draft to replace him, they pick #6.
Panthers could decide they need a new franchise QB, they pick #7.

I thihk we would have to tade up at least in front of MIA to get one of the top 2 QBs. And that assumes that 1) WAS is sticking with Haskins and 2) MIA is standing pat at #5.

Giants already have their QB and have so many holes I think they'd DEFINITELY be willing to deal their #4 pick. Same w Lions at #3.

Last edited by DeadRinger on Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Re: We pick #12 and #19

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:17 am

Of course, a new QB isn't going to fix our play calling problems...

Then again, maybe the problem isn't the play calling, maybe it's Derek Carr's lack of execution.

Either way, something drastic needs to be done. Including the acquisition of some very serious weapons in the passing game.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:21 am

The question is: Do we reload with weapons and try to make a run with Carr under center, or do we sacrifice another year or 2 to bring in a rookie QB?

Or we could pick up someone like Bridgewater.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby piratepride » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:15 pm

A top flight quarterback is very hard to find these days, seems like the league is moving towards the young mobile QB's. I think Mayock wanted to move up in last year's draft for Bosa, but ultimately settled at #4 for the Ferrell selection. I think he trusts his ability to find talent with just about every pick he has available to him. I don't think it's in Mayocks DNA to trade away a loot to move up for 1 guy.
In my mind Burrow would be worth giving up both of our # 1s for a 3rd round in return. This would give us Burrow, and four 3rd rounders.

I want to win next year! I don't want to wait 2 or 3 more years for a rookie to learn the system.
If Im GM come draft day I'm getting either Cedee Lamb/ Jerry Juedy woth the 12 pick, and defense with the 2nd.
I think the value at #19 will put us in position to go BPA, however we should go defense.
Imagine getting Lamb and say Dylan Moses best linebacker in the country?
I like the Clemson LB, but he looks like Obi Melifonwu body type wise. Too thin IMO.
Keep Carr, draft wisely, get our defense healthy and use up our $70 million on D.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby silver & black » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:10 pm

I would take Herbert in a heartbeat. Having said that.... I think we need to stick with Carr for at least one more year. This team can't afford to trade away valuable picks to move up in the draft. we need a legit WR and as many defensive players as we can draft. Carr will have to be good enough... for now. I think he's a broken man. Even at that, he's serviceable as an average QB...for now.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:55 am

silver & black wrote:I would take Herbert in a heartbeat. Having said that.... I think we need to stick with Carr for at least one more year. This team can't afford to trade away valuable picks to move up in the draft. we need a legit WR and as many defensive players as we can draft. Carr will have to be good enough... for now. I think he's a broken man. Even at that, he's serviceable as an average QB...for now.

REALLY surprised to hear you say that, S&B. You've been really down on the kid all year.

Think about it, Carr himself is a pretty valuable commodity. 2 years left on his contract, which is decently affordable for a franchise QB these days, and he's in the prime of his career. We could make Carr part of any trade deal we work up.

Take the Phins for instance. If we want to target Herbert (because Burrow's gone #1 overall to CIN, no matter what because I just don't see them being stupid enough to pass up a guy who could be the next coming of Brady), we call them up and offer Carr plus our #12 and a 3rd in exchange for their #3.

Or something similar.

I'm not suggesting we do that, I'm just saying it can be done, and it doesn't all have to be done with picks.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby silver & black » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:03 pm

I'd be agreeable to trading Carr if it meant we could get a QB that Gruden actually wants. I really don't think Gruden wants Carr at this point. He can see he's broken too. As long as it can be done without giving up too much, I'm all for it.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby DeadRinger » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:42 am

If a franchise QB isn’t worth giving a lot up for then what is? I’m being serious here. Forget about the elites like Brady, Brees and Mahomes. What would you give up for a clone of, say, Russell Wilson or one of the young studs like Josh Allen or Sam Darnold?

The way all those dudes looked this season, I’d be ready to give up quite a bit, I can tell you that.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby piratepride » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:36 pm

Im kind of feeling the same way Dead, i really like Carr.... but if I can be guaranteed a young top QB I'd be willing to give alot.
Carr can get it done with more weapons, but at some point you just say why not go for a sure thing you know? Some QB'S just make it look simple out there, we need that like tomorrow.
Call it scheme, or Carr bieng scared, but it just seems like the offense could have been way more potent when the team was healthy.
I put this on Gruden, but if coach had a say Russell Wilson, maybe he'd have more balls to let it rip down the field. Now, hindsight is 20/20, and I have a feeling he didn't expect the AB thing to blow up either.
I really like the Burrow kid, just know it'll take him a year to get adjusted.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby DeadRinger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:54 am

piratepride wrote:Im kind of feeling the same way Dead, i really like Carr.... but if I can be guaranteed a young top QB I'd be willing to give alot.
Carr can get it done with more weapons, but at some point you just say why not go for a sure thing you know? Some QB'S just make it look simple out there, we need that like tomorrow.
Call it scheme, or Carr bieng scared, but it just seems like the offense could have been way more potent when the team was healthy.
I put this on Gruden, but if coach had a say Russell Wilson, maybe he'd have more balls to let it rip down the field. Now, hindsight is 20/20, and I have a feeling he didn't expect the AB thing to blow up either.
I really like the Burrow kid, just know it'll take him a year to get adjusted.

Burrow is a polished player man. I can’t find a flaw in his game.

Problem is Gruden’s complicated shit. ANY rookie QB is going to flounder around for at least one season, maybe 2 in this crazy banana monkey spider bullshit.

As for Carr, I question not only his guts but his vision as well. I’m just not sure he can SEE guys getting open farther than 15 yds downfield. I think he’s SO conscious of the pocket around him that by the time someone is getting open deep he has already made his decision. Like Fred and Forbidden and S&B are saying, that’s a broken QB who’s playing scared.

It’s painful to watch because his OL is damn good. We should have gotten some good clean deep shots this season and we got jack shit. All he needed to do was slip and slide a little bit.

How about this plan: we load up with very young weapons this season, let Carr get injured in game 1, put him on IR and tank for Trevor Lawrence next year. MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Next

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum