2019: What would I do if I was Gruden?

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

2019: What would I do if I was Gruden?

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:33 pm

And please, I don't want anyone replying by saying "Reggie would never do that" or "Gruden is too stupid or set in his ways..." This is what I would do, not what I think THEY are going to do.

My philosophy in today's NFL is precisely what Fred mentioned in one of his posts: Since you can't play intimidating defensive football anymore, you must win with explosive offense. With the rule changes THIS year in particular, the most important positions on the field are now, in order of importance:

1. QB
2. WR
3. TE, RB
4. DE/Pass Rusher
5. LT
6. DT
7. CB, MLB
8. C, OG

So my plan begins here:

I'd fire Greg Olson and hire someone who could help me adapt my scheme to a rookie QB who's been playing in a joystick shotgun offense for 3 years.

I'd trade Carr for whatever I can get, which will probably be next to nothing, given his contract. There will be coaches out there who believe they can get a lot more out of Carr than Gruden can - and some of them will be right. Carr will go somewhere else and be a good QB, possibly even a great one. The problem with him here is that Gruden is forcing him to think WAY too much, and it's killing him.

I keep Cooper and have Nelson for another year, I believe. Keep McCarron at backup QB. let Jared Cook walk, he's too old to re-up.

I sign DE Trey Flowers, DT Sheldon Richardson, S HaHa Clinton-Dix, CB Ronald Darby, WR Stefon Diggs and TE Jesse James. That will put a HUGE dent in the available cap space and instantly make our team TEN TIMES BETTER than it has been this season. And every one of these guys should be signed to 4-yr deals.

Draft Justin Herbert. He's it. He's the fuckin' guy. Massive arm. Great athleticism. Unbelievable accuracy. Great timing. Impressive pocket presence, able to make a play out of nothing, confidence to burn. If we don't lose out the rest of the season we may have to package some picks to move up. But it shouldn't be too hard because the other teams that are as bad as we are have franchise QBs already - 9ers, Cards, Colts, Bills. The only threat would be NYG, who might be picking high enough to entice someone at the #1 spot to trade down with them. They'd have to give up the farm tho. But it doesn't matter, we'd make them a better offer, because this must be done. So I'd get it done.

After Herbert, best available WR. Either low 1st rd or high 2nd round. We've been dicking with this position long enough.. Time to commit serious capital to it.
After WR, best available RB. Not necessarily in that order, depending on how the value shakes out.

After that I'm looking hard for a smart - read: WHITE - LB, preferably MLB. Also OT. Then depth on the lines and some CBs and WRs to play with.

I'll add more thoughts later.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Re: 2019: What would I do if I was Gruden?

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:48 pm

Let's see what this offense looks like.

WR - Diggs/Roberts

TE - James/Lee
RT - Parker
RG - Gabe
OC - Hudson >QB - Herbert/McCarron
LG - Osemele >RB - Rookie/Richard/Washington
LT - Miller

SR - Nelson/Rookie

WR - Cooper/Bryant

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:04 pm

And the defense...

RDE - Key/Irvin
DT - Richardson
DT - Hall/Hurst
LDE - Flowers

OLB - Whitehead
MLB - Rookie/Lee
OLB - Morrow/Rookie

CB - Darby/Worley
FS - Clinton-Dix
SS - Gilchrist/Joseph/Harris
CB - Conley/DRC
CB - Melvin/Nelson

We should be able to get pressure on QBs with that DL.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby FreddieB25 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:53 pm

In a perfect world your assessment sounds optimistic. Maybe we trade Carr to Giants and we get Justin Herbert. I just don't have any faith in this org to do anything right. Absolute insanity what has gone on in Oakland for fifteen years.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby silver & black » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 pm

I'm all in on Herbert. You just know it isn't going to happen.... unless Gruden has truly seen enough of $25 mill a year wonder boy..... I know I have.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby FreddieB25 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Gruden will try to stock pile 1st round or high draft picks with trade bait assets we may have. Carr, Cooper, Conley, osomele, Hudson etc. Draft his players and FA signings and if we get competitive and make a run at the postseason he'll take all the credit. He'll be like I drafted than coached them up look what a genius I am. He is an egomaniac no doubt about that. Reggie will be gone at the end of the season. It will be all Jon Gruden at that point. If Carr becomes a NYG and looks like he has they'll hang him back there, their fans and media are ruthless and merciless. Carr ain't tough enough for their week to week wrath.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby piratepride » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Dead, I like some of the FA additions in your scenario, but don't like all of them. I'll provide a better response and my own list in the coming days, after I comb through the list of free agents a bit more.
1. I don't like Jesse James as a true #1 TE and neither does Pittsburgh ( he's splits time with Vannet or whatever his name is).
2. Diggs is an awesome deep ball threat, but would rarely get the opportunity in Grudens west coast offense. I'll take a possession receiver in the Thielen mold if we can find one.

On defense, no way Bruce Irvin is back, so we'll need a suitable replacement. I like Flowers alot! I think we'll be able to find a top notch defensive lineman with our #1 selection.

Going with your thought on no longer bieng able to win with quality defense, I'll offer another suggestion.
Depending on where we'll be picking with the second 1st rounder, we may miss out on the top second tier defenders and may need to go offense.
I love the TE Noah Fant here for Carr or whoever we have back there come next season.
A TE you ask....in the 1st round?
Do yourself a favor and read up on him, he'll be the next young Gronkowski or Kelce.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby FreddieB25 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:00 pm

Who cares about our drafts. Our franchise is dead as Dillinger after chuck the suck imploded the whole roster. This cocksucker is a bum. Couldn't at least try to coach up many of those young players and cut em next season if they aren't in our plans. This cocksucker is tanking and rebuilding but he won't even admit it. Fuck you Chuck the suck!!!

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:29 am

Pirate, i don't mind a TE in the 1st round at all, especially late. Not a problem for me, we've all seen that some of them can take over games. If there's one out there that can do it, I'm for it.

I kept Irvin and Cooper on the team simply because we just can't afford to blow TOO many holes in the roster man. That's all.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby FreddieB25 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:34 pm

In Chuck the suck we trust? Think not!! This asshole is a fraud!!! We won't win 10 games and or a division title with Gruden. I said it and stand by it. I hope Im wrong but in my opinion this guys a fuckin ass clown.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum