3. Moore, Sio  OLB
4. Wilson, Tyler  QB
6. Kasa, Nick  TE
6. Murray, Latavius  RB
6. Rivera, Mychal  TE
6. McGee, Stacy  DT
7. Butler, Brice  WR
7. Bass, David  DE

Sio Moore seems to stand out as making the most sense/safest pick (in first two days). With all the advantages the NFL gave the Raiders, on paper, this does not seem to be the epic draft RM needed in order to make up for his insane blundering. Not saying it is absolutely terrible, but the first two picks have serious questions which seem unnecessary.

Also, it seems RM is continuing his pattern of being impatient with players/coaches he did not personally draft/hire - even at the expense of going backwards. Is Pryor really getting a chance? Honestly, it does not seem so - at least, not now - and that's a shame. Taking a chance on Wilson could be defended, but taking Wilson & giving up picks for Flynn is a waste.

On a side note: Not liking this new drawn out 3 day draft.

Last edited by Tenebrous on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0

Re: 2013 Draft Recap

Postby DeadRinger » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Tyler Wilson vs. LSU. Fucking spread bullshit. Shallow crosses, quick slangts, quick outs, empty backfields. This guy's going to need 3 years to adjust. This is not what I wanted to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6PI0L7-xnk

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Postby DeadRinger » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Fucking DT got arrested and was suspended for his bowl game. WTF I thought Reggie was all "high character" or some bullshit??

McGee, meanwhile, was booked into the Cleveland County Jail about 1:15 a.m. Monday on a complaint of driving under the influence and driving with a suspended license. McGee also was suspended Oklahoma's first six games after violating undisclosed university rules during the preseason. - Jake Trotter, SoonerNation

What the FUCK??

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby DeadRinger » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:44 am

From SportingNews:

Grade: C-

Oakland Raiders: So much for going after defensive line help for Dennis Allen after clearing the decks at end and tackle. That's a big knock, but the blow is softened by two talented cover men for their back seven, Houston cornerback D.J. Hayden and Connecticut outside linebacker Sio Moore. Then, in old Raiders fashion, they took a chance on a boom-or-bust raw athletic left tackle (Florida State's Menelik Watson) and a once high-rated QB (Arkansas' Tyler Wilson).

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby DeadRinger » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:45 am

Very disappointing draft. This was my only hope. I'm stunned at the ineptitude. Now it's across the board for Reggie.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby Tenebrous » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:50 am

DeadRinger wrote:Very disappointing draft. This was my only hope. I'm stunned at the ineptitude. Now it's across the board for Reggie.

At this point, for me, it is too early to absoluty conclude that RM had a bad draft, since he gambled so much. If anything, I am inclined to agree with you simply because his gambling, at the top end no less, seemed very unnecessary.

Also, the fact that RM locked in on Hayden is very troubling; the Raiders, with all their wholes, had the opportunity to be a able to seemingly draft the best player available and still fill a need - so why focus in on one player rather than drafting the best available player? Hayden, with his health concerns, was drafted too early - even at 12.

So while it may be too early to declare this draft class a bust, I am overall disappointed in RM (again).

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby DeadRinger » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Tenebrous wrote:
DeadRinger wrote:Very disappointing draft. This was my only hope. I'm stunned at the ineptitude. Now it's across the board for Reggie.

At this point, for me, it is too early to absoluty conclude that RM had a bad draft, since he gambled so much. If anything, I am inclined to agree with you simply because his gambling, at the top end no less, seemed very unnecessary.

Also, the fact that RM locked in on Hayden is very troubling; the Raiders, with all their wholes, had the opportunity to be a able to seemingly draft the best player available and still fill a need - so why focus in on one player rather than drafting the best available player? Hayden, with his health concerns, was drafted too early - even at 12.

So while it may be too early to declare this draft class a bust, I am overall disappointed in RM (again).

It's a LOT like when Al locked in on DHB. Draft your guy no matter how much of a reach.

Difference is the media excoriated Al, and I think they're only giving Reggie a pass because of the trade. They're still bashing him with their draft grades though. I think the average of what I'm seeing is maybe C+.

In a draft where we desperately needed an A+ (because he gutted our entire team). I expected much more from Reggie.

A heart patient in the top half of the first round (SO fucking stupid), and a raw, long-term project in the 2nd. Our first 2 picks, the most important picks this team has had in years, badly misspent. And last year he spent the first pick of his professional GM career on a guy who didn't see the field and is now likely a poor fit for the team altogether.

It's strange to witness. The ONE thing this guy should have been good at, and he stinks.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby Pridenpoise » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:50 pm

I am bewildered at the picks made by Reggie in this Draft. What happened to taking the best player on the board, I guess that was just Reggie talking BS, I don't get how with your 2 most important picks you make such a gamble, I hope to hell I am wrong, but I am not impressed I thought this is why we brought the Great Reggie McKenzie to Oakland, his shrewd drafting and ability to find diamonds in the later rounds. Well if he is screwing up rounds 1 and 2 I really don't give a shit what he does in round 6 and 7. Prove me wrong Reggie but I think this draft was a major disappointment.

Pridenpoise
Rookie
Rookie

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:33 am

Pridenpoise wrote:I am bewildered at the picks made by Reggie in this Draft. What happened to taking the best player on the board, I guess that was just Reggie talking BS, I don't get how with your 2 most important picks you make such a gamble, I hope to hell I am wrong, but I am not impressed I thought this is why we brought the Great Reggie McKenzie to Oakland, his shrewd drafting and ability to find diamonds in the later rounds. Well if he is screwing up rounds 1 and 2 I really don't give a shit what he does in round 6 and 7. Prove me wrong Reggie but I think this draft was a major disappointment.

"Build through the draft." That's what we heard from this guy, right?

Well, I guess it depends on what you're trying to build then... They're building a juggernaut in DEN. Reggie's building a compost heap here in OAK.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:44 am

PFT's draft review of OAK. I have no idea who the fuck Mike Wilkening is, so take this with a vat of salt. And as I always say, hope is not a strategy.

Draft review: Oakland Raiders

Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 28, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT

After analyzing the draft needs of all 32 teams, PFT will review how well each team addressed those needs. Up next: The Oakland Raiders.

What they needed: Defensive line, quarterback, offensive line, cornerback, tight end, wide receiver.

Who they got:
Round 1: D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston.
Round 2: Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State.
Round 3: Sio Moore, LB, Connecticut.
Round 4: Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas.
Round 6: Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado.
Round 6: Latavius Murray, RB, UCF.
Round 6: Mychal Rivera, TE, Tennessee.
Round 6: Stacy McGee, DT, Oklahoma.
Round 7: Brice Butler, WR, San Diego State.
Round 7: David Bass, DE, Missouri Western.

Where they hit: Hayden, who survived a freakish life-threatening internal injury suffered in November, could be the Raiders’ top cornerback in short order. With the second-rounder acquired from Miami, the Raiders added Watson, a tackle prospect with upside. Moore is a good scheme fit, and Wilson could prove a very good value if he plays to his best collegiate form.

Where they missed: The Raiders didn’t draft a defensive lineman until Round Six. There’s playing time to be had for ends Bass and Jack Crawford (2012 fifth-rounder) and tackles McGee and Christo Bilukidi (2012 sixth-rounder) behind the Raiders’ veteran starters, but Oakland could use a little more help at both line positions. In McKenzie’s defense, the Raiders have numerous needs, and on first analysis, he did quite well to add talent and depth in this draft.

Impact rookies: Given the state of the Raiders’ roster, all 10 drafted rookies have a chance to make the team, and several could earn game-day snaps of consequence in Year One, so we’re going to cast a slightly wider net than usual here.

Hayden has the best shot to start. He should compete with Tracy Porter and Mike Jenkins right off the bat. Moore is also a player to watch; the Raiders have revamped their LB corps this offseason but don’t have any standouts. A talented fresh face has a chance to make an impact early at this position. Watson’s best opportunity to start in 2013 is at right tackle, but that’s no sure thing, given his lack of experience.

Rivera is a potential sleeper, given the Raiders’ lack of a clear-cut top target at tight end after the departure of Brandon Myers. And then we come to Wilson. Matt Flynn will get first run at the starting job. Wilson will have to be a quick study to challenge Flynn and Terrelle Pryor. However, it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

Long-term prospects: Give McKenzie credit — this roster has improved at numerous positions compared to where it stood earlier in the spring. In the best-case scenario for the Raiders’ Class of 2013, these three things happen: 1) Hayden is a starter-caliber player from the get-go; 2) Watson and Wilson build on their potential; 3) the Day Three picks other than Wilson provide solid depth, with one or two panning out better than Oakland expected.

Make no mistake: the Raiders have a lot of catching up to do in the AFC West. However, there’s vast opportunity for some young players to seize some key roles. The Raiders have to hope more than a few rise to the occasion.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Next

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum