Why Todd Downing is an Upgrade over Musgrave

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Why Todd Downing is an Upgrade over Musgrave

Postby 790thSFS » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Even after his first season as the Oakland Raiders Offensive Coordinator, many fans called for the firing of Bill Musgrave. Be that as it may, they forgot their frustration with Greg Olsen. With the Raiders ranking twenty-fourth in total yards in 2015, Musgrave’s conservative play-calling that annoyed most. Notably, dialing up bubble screens to Amari Cooper for short gains. However, after the Raiders finished sixth in that category for the 2016 season, hope for 2017 appeared. Fans couldn’t believe Musgrave’s contract would lapse without renewal. Instead, the team opted to promote current QB Coach Todd Downing.

Admittedly, I didn’t know much about Todd Downing before this. Despite his relatively young age (36), his resume shows substance. I discovered that he worked with the Detroit Lions (2011-2013) and Buffalo Bills (2014), where he helped fine tune Matt Stafford and made E.J. Manuel average. Also worth nothing, Pro Football Focus named him their Quarterbacks Coach of the Year for the 2015 season.

While the following is purely speculation, I believe that several possibilities exist as to why the Raiders decided to promote Downing and part ways with Musgrave. First, Jack Del Rio, Reggie Mackenzie and/or Mark Davis (in no particular order) grew weary of Musgrave’s conservative play-calling. While Derek Carr engineered several comeback victories in spectacular fashion, the offense began often started flat.

Even after his first season as the Oakland Raiders Offensive Coordinator, many fans called for the firing of Bill Musgrave. Be that as it may, they forgot their frustration with Greg Olsen. With the Raiders ranking twenty-fourth in total yards in 2015, Musgrave’s conservative play-calling that annoyed most. Notably, dialing up bubble screens to Amari Cooper for short gains. However, after the Raiders finished sixth in that category for the 2016 season, hope for 2017 appeared. Fans couldn’t believe Musgrave’s contract would lapse without renewal. Instead, the team opted to promote current QB Coach Todd Downing.

Musgrave’s vanilla play-calling cost him his job. Second, it would appear that Derek Carr has a closer working relationship with Downing than Musgrave. Carr celebrated touchdowns first with Downing on the sideline. They shared a spiritual bond, even praying after games together. We all know how deeply religious Carr is. Finally, Raiders’ management may believe much of Carr’s development to Downing’s coaching rather than that of Musgrave. Another reason for Downing’s promotion could keep him in Oakland long-term, away from other teams.

Given the rapid rise of the Raiders under Jack Del Rio after a decade of failure, the coach gets the benefit of the doubt. I predict Todd Downing will be an upgrade over Bill Musgrave. Hopefully, we will all witness Derek Carr shatter more records in 2017 with Downing’s help.

790thSFS
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Re: Why Todd Downing is an Upgrade over Musgrave

Postby silver & black » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Musgrave being shown the door is a good thing. The real question is: With Wade Phillips and Rex Ryan both available, why is Norton still here??? That's an article I would be very interested in reading.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby FreddieB25 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:56 pm

silver & black wrote:Musgrave being shown the door is a good thing. The real question is: With Wade Phillips and Rex Ryan both available, why is Norton still here??? That's an article I would be very interested in reading.

Mark being a cheap jew like his father in paying coaches and coords, Rex and Wade knew don't even interview in Oakland...fact Norton jr is retained and the dee back coach fired proved they knew in order to upgrade at dee coord they'd be spending more money to attain a more prolific dee coord..Dowling promotion is probably same money as Musgrave or less...Mark is pathetic!!!

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Forbiddenraider » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:41 pm

I hope this franchise doesn't ruin Carr like SD ruined Rivers. Looks like that's what's happening. Still waiting for a defense. Norton would lose with the 85 Bears. Wade Phillips fixed Del Rios shitty defense in Denver. They knew they could upgrade over Fox & Del Rio and they did. Musgrave leaving is a positive move in the long run. He's too fucking stupid

Forbiddenraider
RF Refugees
RF Refugees

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum