Salary cap sits at $123 million precisely

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Postby DeadRinger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:40 am

So, how much are we over right now?

Posted by Mike Florio on February 28, 2013, 9:26 PM EST

There has been some confusion regarding the actual salary cap for 2012. We’ve confirmed via two sources that the team-by-team spending limit is and will be $123 million.

In addition to the $3.936 billion in total spending allotment in 2013, another $200 million in cap space has been carried over from past years.

This pushes the total potential cap space this year to more than $4.1 billion.

Teams can (and do) spend more cash than their cap limit. But those dollars count against future caps. With this year’s limit increasing over last year’s by only 1.9 percent, teams need to be careful about robbing Peter to pay Paul.

One of these days, someone is gonna rob Paul to pay Peter.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Re: Salary cap sits at $123 million precisely

Postby RF34 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:52 am

$800k was the last number I saw.....
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Teams with least room this am: CAR $8 mil over cap; NO $5.5 mil over; WASH $3 mil over; AZ $1.2 mil over; OAK $800k over

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Seymour's contract voiding a mixed bag

Postby blazin1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:37 pm

The Raiders should be under the salary cap according to this article.

According to language in the re-structured contract of Raiders veteran defensive tackle Richard Seymour, said contact became voidable if Seymour was on Oakland's roster five days after Super Bowl XLVII.

And according to the National Football Post (the Raiders do not comment on contract matters), that is exactly what happened on Friday, making the Raiders' announcement back on Dec. 21 that Seymour would be among 17 players eligible for unrestricted free agency in 2013 a reality.

It also cleared $5.419 million of cap space for 2013, meaning the Raiders should now be under what is expected to be the salary cap of $121 million. In fact, according to documents obtained by CSNCalifornia.com, the Raiders currently have a salary cap number of $119,125,349.00.

Sound good? Well, that figure is based on just 37 players still under contract, and includes $13.714 million in "dead money" to Seymour. Yes, even though he will not be on the team in 2013, Seymour will carry that large of a cap number.

It's a pretty hefty price to pay for a 33-year-old who had just 15 tackles with three sacks and missed the final eight games of the 2012 season with knee and hamstring issues.

Seymour never got the Raiders over the top -- though he did help in the development of Tommy Kelly and Desmond Bryant -- after being acquired by Al Davis from New England for a first-round draft pick in 2009.

But consider this: the Raiders actually save $30 million in "real money," base salary, through 2016 by parting ways with Seymour now.

According to the report, because Seymour did not play a certain amount of downs, the contract became voidable by the team. And since it was the team that voided the contract, the dead money remained, well, alive for 2013.

LINK: http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/paul-gutierrez/seymours-contract-voiding-mixed-bag

You don't adjust, you just dominate.

blazin1
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 90

Postby DeadRinger » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Alright, let me sum up the situation as i see it.

We were in cap jail last offseason, according to everyone in the world. Reggie COMPLETELY GUTS the team, terminating Routt, Boss, Wimbley etc. after just one year into their deals, saddling us with hideous dead money. Load-carrying guys like Bush walk away with nary a sniff. Yet apparently Reggie had enough money to throw a ludicrous contract at the turnstyle he installed at RG. His replacement at RT is one of the worst o-lineman I've ever seen, and both of his vet CBs get broken VERY early on.

In a fit of egomaniacal insanity, he flushes the coaching staff after a truly promising year achieved under incredible adversity, puts a 5-year-old in charge of a storied NFL team (when there were PLENTY strong coaches to be had), and signs off on the hiring of Knapp, who had already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was either too stubborn, too ignorant or just plain too fucking STUPID to effectively utilize our mosrt dangerous weapon, DMC. All of this combines to ensure us a season of bottom-of-the-barrel, gut-wrenching, sickening failure.

2012 ends, mercifully putting fans out of their misery. Offseason starts, what's the first thing we hear? We're in fucking cap jail!!! First thing our illustrious leader does is void Seymour (not really a bad move, but yet another example of talent gone from the team). Two key D guys are FAs, Bryant and Wheeler. Wheeler being the ONLY FA success for Reggie last offseason, his omniscient foresight leads him to sign the guy for ONE season, and now he has us over a barrel. Palmer's due to make twice as much money as he'll ever see next season, but the new regime, in yet another blinding failure, rfused to adequately assess Pryor on the field of play. McClain and Kelly are both on the chopping block, continuing reggie's mad dash to an 0-16 season in 2013. He has the balls to fire his worst mistake, Knapp. But he replaces him with an abject career failure instead of injecting some success into this organization. Now, that may not have been by choice because it's highly unlikely any great OC would sign on to work under Allen, yet another one of Reggie's fuck-ups.

So here we sit, dog shit with no end in sight, and I'm still reading blog after blog, post after post of fans, writers and analysts praising Reggie and DA for the "progress" they've made with this motherfucking team!!! It's fucking UNBELIEVABLE to me!

If this is progress then I guess failure could only be the end of the franchise as a viable organization. And to tell you the truth, I don't see that as being beyond possible. We are in the motherfucking TANK, people. And a #3 pick ain't gonna change that, even if we trade it for more picks.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby 790thSFS » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Damn! No FA's, shitty Draft Picks! WTF???? This team is worse off than ever! Trade the 3rd pick for more $$$. Whoever they would draft would suck ass anyway

790thSFS
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby RF34 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:33 pm

@Jerrymcd: Raiders were $ 1,456,777 under cap as of March 3 _ and had only 46 players under contract. Lots of work to do in terms of cuts, restructures

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Postby blazin1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:38 pm

RF34 wrote:@Jerrymcd: Raiders were $ 1,456,777 under cap as of March 3 _ and had only 46 players under contract. Lots of work to do in terms of cuts, restructures

I was just about to post that info. Have you been reading Juron Criner's tweets? http://twitter.com/JbamaCriner82

You don't adjust, you just dominate.

blazin1
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 90

Postby RF34 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Yeah I seen them. He doesn't seem to be a TP fan. Or he's been tippin' the bottle early and often...

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Postby DeadRinger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:49 am

OK, someone help me out and paste something relevant from his tweets. All I see is a bunch of incredibly lame yappin' with the women.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby RF34 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:50 am

Looks like Criner deleted it from Twitter. He said in a couple of tweets that CP is his QB until further notice. Has something to do with TP trying to get together with WR's for some workouts and the rules in the new CBA forbidding it until later in the offseason.

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Next

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum