Raiders select quarterback Derek Carr in the second round

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Raiders select quarterback Derek Carr in the second round

Postby bigboy3333 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 9, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
DerekCarr Getty Images

The Oakland Raiders have drafted the man they hope can be their quarterback of the future.

Derek Carr of Fresno State went to the Raiders in the second round with the 36th overall pick. Carr was widely reported to be a favorite of Raiders owner Mark Davis, and in fact Davis is said to be so enamored with Carr that there was some talk that the Raiders might use their first-round pick on Carr.

Carr is the younger brother of David Carr, the former No. 1 overall pick of the Texans.

The Raiders have three other quarterbacks on the roster, with Matt Schaub currently penciled in as the starter, last year’s undrafted free agent Matt McGloin as the backup and Trent Edwards as the third-stringer. But while Carr won’t necessarily supplant Schaub from Day One, Carr is the quarterback whom the Oakland front office hopes will be the starter for many years to come.

Sell the Fucking team Mark Davis!!

bigboy3333
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 2

Re: Raiders select quarterback Derek Carr in the second roun

Postby Forbiddenraider » Fri May 09, 2014 5:07 pm

Would have liked more defense but hopefully Carr turns out to be the real deal. Seems like he's all business most of the time. But if they would have drafted him in the first round I would have suffocated Mark Davis with a pillow and scattered his remains in the city dump. So far so good

Forbiddenraider
RF Refugees
RF Refugees
Highscores: 0

Postby piratepride » Fri May 09, 2014 6:07 pm

I like what he told someone the other day.He may not have all the measurables, but he is going to out work everyone.The dude has a tremendous work ethic.If rich Gannon , Kurt Warner love the kid maybe we should too.He is from the same mold, works for everything harder than most.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby Tenebrous » Fri May 09, 2014 6:21 pm

piratepride wrote:I like what he told someone the other day.He may not have all the measurables, but he is going to out work everyone.The dude has a tremendous work ethic.If rich Gannon , Kurt Warner love the kid maybe we should too.He is from the same mold, works for everything harder than most.

Wait - when did Gannon or Warner state that they love Derek Carr? I recall them praising aspects of his game - as they did with other players - but, that is far different from loving Carr.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby Tenebrous » Fri May 09, 2014 6:23 pm

Video Link: [url]2014 NFL Draft: Raiders get a B for Carr pick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2SaEN1Sdc0[/url]

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby SoulPatrol » Fri May 09, 2014 8:34 pm

As I stated many times, I think Carr is the best of the bunch and has fire. Combine that with the fire of Mack and we may have something. Only thing I am worried about though, though I love the Gabe Jackson pick...man we gonna be hurting something bad for DTs.

SoulPatrol
First-Stringer
First-Stringer

Postby Tenebrous » Fri May 09, 2014 9:32 pm

Derek Carr drafted by the Oakland Raiders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Z8sZ9Jnf4

Longer video:. Derek Carr talks to the media after the draft: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCX6JpKIHgo
Really hard not to like him (and Khalil Mack too -- definitely seem like high character individuals).

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby DeadRinger » Fri May 09, 2014 10:39 pm

It's a pretty good pick. Real hard for me to forget about his brother though.

As a package, I'm pretty happy with the first 2 picks. Far better than last year.

This Gabe dude, however, sounds like he needs a ton of work. And let's be honest folks, Reggie's track record with o-linemen - through the draft or FA - is downright fucking atrocious. From the Brisiel fiasco to Bergstrom and Watson, to letting Veldheer walk... And who was that Wills dude he picked up out of someone's garbage can? Reggie has no fuckin idea what he's doing when it comes to the OL. So I'll assume this is a bad pick util proven otherwise.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Postby piratepride » Fri May 09, 2014 10:51 pm

Dead, I was a little upset when I heard we got Gabe also.I was out eating dinner when I heard the news.I wasn't sure if we could have still landed Nix or sutton instead but my Co worker is a die hard Alabama fan/Raider fan and he said he might be our best pick yet.Ok so maybe he was over exaggerating like he tends to do just to get his point across but he laid the facts on the table . supposedly the dude hasn't given up a sack in 2 years in the SEC!.Also guy is just a pure run mauler.Time will tell but I am coming away very pleased with this year's draft.Now what the he'll are we going to do for our D-line?

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby SoulPatrol » Fri May 09, 2014 11:02 pm

piratepride wrote:Dead, I was a little upset when I heard we got Gabe also.I was out eating dinner when I heard the news.I wasn't sure if we could have still landed Nix or sutton instead but my Co worker is a die hard Alabama fan/Raider fan and he said he might be our best pick yet.Ok so maybe he was over exaggerating like he tends to do just to get his point across but he laid the facts on the table . supposedly the dude hasn't given up a sack in 2 years in the SEC!.Also guy is just a pure run mauler.Time will tell but I am coming away very pleased with this year's draft.Now what the he'll are we going to do for our D-line?

Honestly bro, Gabe Jackson is solid. The only thing I question with him is his first step. He is also the son of a football coach...you know what that means....his fundamentals are sound. His first step though always seems to bit a 1/2 second slow off the ball. With NFL DTs and DEs, that puts him at a real disadvantage during mid to deep obvious 3rd down pass protection plays. Now is that something that can be worked on? Hmm...actually I'm not sure. However, probably!

He is also solid on running plays, however, I've also seen him get a little too eager and miss the 2nd level blocks. I will say this though, he is the best guard the Oakland Raiders have though.

I have to say Reggie McKenzie has done a fine job with the draft thus far this year.

I believe Mack is the best player in the draft. Carr the best QB. Jackson is a solid 3rd round prospect. I'm excited to see what happens in the 4th round. Remember I predicted yesterday a 3rd down trade...I just thought it'd be a trade down for Nix. So your concern about the D-line to me is completely justified. Without a D-line, specifially DTs in front of him, it doesn't matter how good Khalil Mack is. Worst part is there was a an obvious run on DLmen in the 3rd round all the best prospects are gone. So that only leaves...Justin Ellis and DaQuan Jones. However they are both decent run stoppers...but not Louis Nix. Well, I guess we can't address everything in one go. However, the player I must say I most surprised has dropped off the radar is Ahmad Dixon. If the Raiders draft Dixon at Safety and one of these DTs (I believe they're still available, but not sure)...well, we'll be alright.

SoulPatrol
First-Stringer
First-Stringer

Next

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum