McGloin excited to learn from veteran QB Schaub

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Postby Tenebrous » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:54 pm

April 12, 2014, 9:00 am

Matt McGloin is 1-5 in six NFL starts last year; he'll learn from Matt Schaub, who is 46-44 over 10 years. (USATSI)

The Raiders navigated last season with greenhorns at the helm. Terrelle Pryor and Matt McGloin made their first professional starts in 2013, and made the mistakes of youth along the way.

The Raiders added experience by acquiring veteran Matt Schaub, his 90 starts and two Pro Bowl appearances in trade. Schaub is here to guide the Raiders through the 2014 (possibly beyond) and groom young quarterbacks for the future.

His role as teacher has already started. Schaub contacted McGloin -- Pryor has asked to be traded or released this offseason -- to start the mentor protégé relationship. It was action appreciated by McGloin, expected to be the backup quarterback next season.

[RELATED: Pryor requests trade or release]

“He reached out to me and we talked, so it's going to be great,” McGloin told CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday. “I'm really looking forward to being around him and learning from him.”

The Raiders believe that will do McGloin a wealth of good. The undrafted rookie from Penn State made six starts in 2013, looking good at times and mistake-prone at others. McGloin’s quick release and arm strength created some good memories, and poor decision making created some bad ones.

Head coach Dennis Allen believes that being able to sit back and watch will help McGloin grow as an NFL quarterback.

“With Matt, it’s all about experience,” Allen said in March at the NFL owners meetings. “It’s all about getting the reps in practice. It’s going to be about getting the reps in the preseason games and gaining experience, because there’s no better teacher than experience. I think that’s the one thing, when you look at Matt, that he lacks.

“I think it’ll be a great opportunity for him to fall in behind a guy like Matt Schaub and see how a guy who’s been successful in this league plays the quarterback position both on and off the field.”

McGloin’s 2013 experience gives him an unexpected leg up heading into the offseason program, when Schaub will be there to push him farther forward.

“It will be good to work with Matt Schaub each and every day and learn as much as I can from him,” McGloin said. “Just being around him, to see how he works and try to pick up on anything at all that he does (will help). I'm really looking forward to that, and being around a lot of the other veterans too.”

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0

Re: McGloin excited to learn from veteran QB Schaub

Postby silver & black » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:38 pm

Yea.... whatever.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Re: McGloin excited to learn from veteran QB Schaub

Postby Forbiddenraider » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Mcgloin excited to have Shaub hold his dick and show him how to pee!

Forbiddenraider
RF Refugees
RF Refugees

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum