Raiders meet with Mettenberger on Tuesday

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Postby Tenebrous » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:05 pm

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, April 8th, 2014 at 3:05 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders pushed up their meeting with Louisiana State quarterback Zach Mettenberger to Tuesday as Mettenberger attempts to accommodate a number of suitors.

Mettenberger’s pro day is scheduled for Wednesday. Rather than cram in too much that day, Mettenberger set up meetings with the Raiders and New England Patriots on Tuesday, according to NFL Network.

He is the latest in a long line of quarterbacks that the Raiders are checking out in advance of the NFL draft. Earlier, the Raiders attended the pro days of Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, David Fales and Derek Carr.

The Raiders hold the rights to the fifth pick in the draft, which begins May 8. It’s conceivable that the Raiders will use one of their picks on a quarterback, even though they have four on their roster right now.

None of the four on the Raiders roster – Matt Schaub, Matt McGloin, Terrelle Pryor and Trent Edwards – is considered a long-term solution.

Mettenberger still is recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament that he suffered in a game late last season. The injury required surgery, but Mettenberger said he intends to go through all the drills expected of a quarterback in a pre-draft workout.

Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater and Carr are viewed as likely first-round picks. Fales and Mettenberger are projected to go in the mid rounds, perhaps as high as the second round.

Therefore, if the Raiders use their first-round pick on a player at a position other than quarterback, Mettenberger becomes more of a possibility.

The Raiders hosted Manziel at their facility on Sunday and Monday. More quarterbacks are slated to make their way to Alameda in the coming days for face-to-face visits with coach Dennis Allen, general manager Reggie McKenzie, offensive coordinator Greg Olson and quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo, among others.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0

Re: Raiders meet with Mettenberger on Tuesday

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:05 am

LSU trainer says Zach Mettenberger’s nearly full strength

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 9, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT

LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger is planning on doing all the drills at his pro day today, in hopes of proving to NFL teams he’s sufficiently recovered from last November’s torn ACL.

That’s shouldn’t be a problem, as the LSU medical staff is apparently capable of performing miracles.

Team trainer Jack Marucci told Albert Breer of the NFL Network that they tested Mettenberger’s knee Friday, and it was at 97 percent strength. Marucci went on to say that if there was a game this week, Mettenberger could play.

That’s three months out from surgery to repair the ligament that provides stability to the knee, so either Mettenberger’s a fast healer, or the standards to play are looser in Baton Rouge than in other places.

To be honest, saying he’s “97 percent strength” sounds a little made-up. I’d have probably gone for a decimal point, just for show, because “97.2 percent” sounds even more science-y.

Either way, we’ll see how Mettenberger moves today, and have a better idea how he’s progressing from a surgery that takes other mortals more time to recover from.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:11 am

Mettenberger could turn out to be the best in the draft. LSU would have been shit without him last season. Great size. Great arm. Good accuracy. Pro set. Played successfully against the best defenses without an all-pro supporting cast.

EDIT: Scratch that. He had a WR and a RB who could both go in the first round. Even his second WR will be drafted. Not a very good OL though.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby RF34 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Jaworski ranks Mettenberger over Manziel, Bridgewater

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 15, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT

Ron Jaworski, the former NFL quarterback turned ESPN commentator, is well regarded for his ability to break down film and analyze it in a way that fans can understand. But in breaking down the quarterbacks in this year’s NFL draft, Jaworski has been all over the map.

The latest example: Jaworski said today on NFL Live that he views former LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger as a better prospect than either of the two highest-profile quarterbacks in this year’s draft, Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M or Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville.

“This is the guy that can change the draft, Zach Mettenberger,” Jaworski said. “He has the big, strong arm, the prototypical NFL quarterback, at 6-foot-5, 228 pounds, coached by Cam Cameron down there at LSU, pro-style offense.”

Jaworski ranks former Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles as the best of this year’s class, Mettenberger second, Manziel third, Bridgewater fourth andDerek Carr of Fresno State fifth. Jaworski seems to put a lot of stock in pro days, moving Manziel up on the risk after ripping Manziel before his impressive showing at Texas A&M’s Pro Day, and moving Bridgewater way down after his disappointing showing at Louisville’s Pro Day.

“After my tape evaluation, I had Teddy Bridgewater No. 1. But I went to his Pro Day. He really struggled throwing the football — accuracy, velocity and it came out with a wobble,” Jaworski said.

It’s highly unlikely that the quarterbacks in this year’s draft class will be selected in Jaworski’s preferred order. But all it takes is one team to love Mettenberger as much as Jaworski does, and Mettenberger will be a first-round pick.

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Postby 790thSFS » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:38 pm

anyone who ranks manziel over anyone else in this draft is fucking scumbag piece of shit!

Trade up and take johnny football!

790thSFS
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby Tenebrous » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:58 pm

RAIDERS wrote:anyone who ranks manziel over anyone else in this draft is fucking scumbag piece of shit!

Trade up and take johnny football!

What? :?

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby Del » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:19 pm

Who cares about TB pro day, he is a straight up baller.

All day lurkin'

Del
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:14 am

Bridgewater played in a pro offense too. And guess what else, Jaws? Teddy hasn't forgotten how to throw the fucking ball like he did last season just because he's had some bad workouts. Don't be stupid about this. People are in his head fucking with his game.

Anyway, the rest of them have that joystick bullshit in their blood and will need to get it stomped out of them like Bradford has.

Watkins round 1, Mettenberger round 2.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby snakebuck » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 am

I like Mettenbeger...but I don't like that knee of his. It would be a huge gamble in my opinion.

PEACE RAIDER NATION!

snakebuck
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:11 am

snakebuck wrote:I like Mettenbeger...but I don't like that knee of his. It would be a huge gamble in my opinion.

Not as much of a gamble as Hayden, and Reggie had no problem pulling that particular trigger.

I think Mettenberger showed at his pro day that the ACL isn't going to be any kind of long-term issue. OAK would be the perfect spot for him, where he doesn't HAVE to play year 1. He can get reps in, wrap his brain around the NFL game, heal and maybe come in during garbage time a few times. There should be plenty of theat in 2014.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum