ESPN Free-Agency Grades

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

ESPN Free-Agency Grades

Postby Tenebrous » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:14 pm

F GRADES

Oakland Raiders
Grade: F

Key signings: QB Matt Schaub (trade), LT Donald Penn, OLB LaMarr Woodley, S Charles Woodson, RB Darren McFadden, DE Justin Tuck, DE Antonio Smith, WR James Jones, CB Tarell Brown, G Kevin Boothe, T Austin Howard

Key subtractions: LT Jared Veldheer, DE Lamarr Houston, CB Tracy Porter, CB Mike Jenkins, DT Vance Walker, RB Rashad Jennings

The Raiders rallied to improve their roster after an embarrassing start to free agency that featured their botched attempt to sign Saffold to an overpriced contract. Unfortunately for Oakland, the moves did not set up the team for long-term success. The first 12 players Oakland added or re-signed averaged 30.5 years old, the highest figure in the league. Yes, the Raiders needed to spend money, but why chase declining players when two of their own building blocks -- Veldheer and Houston -- were headed out the door the minute free agency opened? Perhaps most importantly, the manner in which the Raiders navigated the process only reinforced their image as an organization without a direction.

"I really, honestly don't understand it," Polian said. He was not the only one.

"They will posture it as bringing in leadership to change the culture, but the guys they signed are not going to change culture," Riddick said. "Most of the guys who went there had nowhere else to go. I liked the Woodson re-sign. That is true leadership. Charles truly cares about the Raiders. But in a year when you need to spend cash and had cap room to get it done with Veldheer and Houston, why wouldn't you get it done? Even if you didn't like them much, it sends a better message than what you are doing now. Not only are you chasing with older free agents who don't want to come there anyway, but your draft picks aren't panning out."

It’s been a rough offseason for the Silver and Black.

My personal grade would be a D-, but this grade is understandable for RM and the Raiders.

Bah, RM has me now agreeing with BSPN!

The real question is, how can any sane fan truly defend this obvious mess?

What's worse is that the guy who is most responsible for this F, will be calling the shots on draft day - I can see him waste the Raiders 1st round pick on Bridgewater. Smh. Lol, had to add that last part because I know Bridgewater has some fans here - but, I am obviously not one of them.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0

Re: ESPN Free-Agency Grades

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:09 am

It's a legitimate grade, though I'm on record (so far) with a D. It all depends on how much weight you put on both Veldheer and Houston leaving, and this guy puts a ton of weight on it. And it's impossible to argue against that.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum