No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Derek Carr's No. 1 suitor might be the Oakland Raiders

Postby Tenebrous » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:39 am

Published: March 24, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.
Updated: March 24, 2014 at 10:29 a.m.
Derek Carr's No. 1 suitor might be the Oakland Raiders

Mike Huguenin
College Football 24/7 writer
The Oakland Raiders are said to have "a massive crush" on Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr -- but that crush doesn't mean they will take him with the No. 5 overall pick.

The Fresno Bee reported that while Oakland thinks highly of Carr, the Raiders would be more inclined to trade down to select Carr rather than taking him fifth overall. The report also said the acquisition of Matt Schaub, whom Raiders coach Dennis Allen said "absolutely" could start for three or four seasons, allows the Raiders time to "groom" their next quarterback.

Along those lines, Allen also said Schaub's acquisition won't necessarily preclude the Raiders from drafting a quarterback.

"I don't think you ever take anything off the table," Allen said Sunday. "You have your checklist. We've got these holes we need to fill. That's one that we feel like we've been able to check off the list. We filled that."

Does Allen or anyone in the Raiders' organization truly believe Schaub can be an NFL starter for three or four more seasons? That seems unlikely. But what's not unlikely is that acquiring him allows the Raiders to use him in a dual role as a stop-gap starter/mentor while a rookie quarterback gets ready.

Carr had a good workout at his March 20 pro day; Oakland's entire coaching staff was present.

If Oakland truly thinks Carr is their quarterback of the future, they should be able to trade down and take him somewhere in the early 20s. The general consensus is that Carr is the No. 4 quarterback available in this draft class, behind UCF's Blake Bortles, Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel (the attractiveness of those three is a "beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder" thing).

The quarterback situation could become -- could, not will -- a bit clearer this week, for the Raiders and every other team that wants and/or needs a quarterback, after Manziel's pro-day workout Thursday.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0

Re: Derek Carr's No. 1 suitor might be the Oakland Raiders

Postby SoulPatrol » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:55 am

Works for me! Really like Derek Carr's fire and ability. I wonder if the Raiders can get him in the 2nd.

SoulPatrol
First-Stringer
First-Stringer

Postby Tenebrous » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 am

SoulPatrol wrote:Works for me! Really like Derek Carr's fire and ability. I wonder if the Raiders can get him in the 2nd.

Would rather get Garappolo. During the Senior Bowl, it was neck and neck between Garappolo and Carr with Carr having the better touch on deep balls into the wind, but with Garappolo being far more accurate on the move. Unless the Raiders plan on having Tom Brady type protection, Garappolo should be the choice.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby 790thSFS » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:46 am

Watkins at No. 5, Carr in the second rd....YEAH!

790thSFS
The Mercs
The Mercs
Medals: 1

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:54 am

Carr won't be there when we pick in rd 2, but Garoppolo might.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby Tenebrous » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:16 pm

DeadRinger wrote:Carr won't be there when we pick in rd 2, but Garoppolo might.

Maybe, maybe not - the Texans reportedly are real interested in Garappolo, among other teams.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby Forbiddenraider » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Lets not forget we still need defensive help badly. Mack.

Forbiddenraider
RF Refugees
RF Refugees

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Tenebrous wrote:

Maybe, maybe not - the Texans reportedly are real interested in Garappolo, among other teams.

I think HOU will draft a QB at #1.

I'm sure other teams are interested, but no GM is going to make Garoppolo a 1st-rd pick. Belichik would do it if he thought he needed to because he doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks. But he's not going to spend his first-rounder on an heir apparent this year. Too soon to do that still.

I see 4 QBs coming off the board in round 1. Then when we get to round 2, a QB would have to fall past HOU and CLE again to get to us.

The bottom line is that if Reggie's not willing to deal - and I don't think he will while in ass-saving mode - he's not going to get Carr.

But how about this: Zach Mettenberger. Kid has an ACL but we don't need him to play in his rookie season. I watched his game against UGA this past season and I'm impressed. He has Pryor's size and arm strength without the mobility bit with FAR better football IQ and accuracy. He took a shitload of snaps from under center. He routinely played against the best defenses college football has to offer. Given the chance, I take Zach over Jimmy. In fact, I'd take Zach over Carr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8-mvZ5umo

But I have a bad feeling Reggie's going to do something stupid. I'll cry if he picks Aaron Murray.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby Tenebrous » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:43 pm

DeadRinger wrote:
Tenebrous wrote:

I think HOU will draft a QB at #1.

I'm sure other teams are interested, but no GM is going to make Garoppolo a 1st-rd pick. Belichik would do it if he thought he needed to because he doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks. But he's not going to spend his first-rounder on an heir apparent this year. Too soon to do that still.

I was thinking the Texans may with their 1st pick in the 2nd round, which comes before the Raiders. Regardless, Bill Polian is on record as saying Garappolo may end up being drafted in the 1st Round. Though, admittedly, it is easier said when not sitting in the hot-seat as it were.

In regards to Mettenberger (sp?), there are too many warning flags - didn't he have an issue with sexual battery and/or drugs while at LSU? Raiders do not need big QB who may or may not love the game from LSU. Also, from what I've read, he also strugless with accuracy when forced to move and does not have a quick release.

Seems somewhat similar to Carr, but with off the field issues and more experience under center.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby DeadRinger » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:42 am

Tenebrous wrote:Seems somewhat similar to Carr, but with off the field issues and more experience under center.

Better size, better arm, faced stronger opposition. Zach also played under Cam Cameron last year, long-time NFL coach.

As far as the off-field stuff, it's definitely there. But he didn't try to hide from it, plead guiilty and took his punishment. Had to go to a community college for a year because of it. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't had any problems since. Everyone deserves a second chance. Personally I think Manziel's off-field BS is of more concern that Zach's. Here's what Cameron said:

“He’s a great person,” Cameron said. “He’s a great teammate, which in the NFL is critical. He’s a captain here. It’s a tough locker room. … Kids all come here and know how to win. For you to be elected captain twice, it tells you the type of respect our guys have for him. To me, that tells it all.

“Guys in the NFL will respond to his work ethic, toughness and personality. He’s a low-maintenance guy. He’s not a guy looking for publicity. He’ll keep going as they all do. He was so much fun to coach. He has nothing but great things in front of him.”

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum