Dennis Allen: Raiders keeping options open with fifth pick

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Postby Tenebrous » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:01 pm

Dan Hanzus
Around the League Writer
Oakland Raiders coach Dennis Allen told reporters on Friday he saw Matt Schaub as a long-term solution who could lead the team at quarterback for several years.

That faith in Schaub's ability won't necessarily preclude the Raiders from investing in a quarterback in the upcoming draft, however.

"I don't think you ever take anything off the table," Allen told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport and a small group of reporters at the NFL meetings in Orlando on Sunday. "You have your check list. We've got these holes we need to fill. That's one that we feel like we've been able to check off the list. We filled that.

"But I still think when we get ready to pick (at No. 5 overall), we're going to take the best player available."

Allen was asked if Schaub's arrival served as a sign that Terrelle Pryor is being fazed out of the organization's plans. Allen believes Pryor and Matt McGloin can improve simply by being around Schaub.

"I think it's one of those situations where both these young quarterbacks to sit back and watch and see how this guy prepares see how this goes about doing his job because I think Matt Schaub has, in the last five or six years, been a top 10 quarterback in this league."

The Raiders continue to talk and operate as if Matt Schaub's 2013 season never happened. Here's the thing though: It definitely did.

... and they are paying him, by choice, like it didn't happen either -- on a team with many many wholes no less. Brilliant! Bah.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0

Re: Dennis Allen: Raiders keeping options open with fifth pi

Postby FreddieB25 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Matt Schaub didn't forget how to play football overnight. The team, Andre Johnson, fans, media, coaches all turned on him because of their high expectations. Coming to Oakland will rejuvenate him, sure he will make mistakes, but I think the team and coaches will rally around him and have his support. I expect this 2014 Raider team as good if not better than the 2010-11 teams aside from their brutal schedule. McFadden is in a contract year and the whole organization has something to prove!

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby silver & black » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:00 pm

Coming to Oakland will rejuvenate him,..........

Ray Bans? The rose colored glasses, I mean.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby FreddieB25 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:36 pm

silver & black wrote:

Schaub will be fine! As long as they can run the ball and the O-line comes together I see a very productive year from he and the offense. The whole organization will be hungry to have a big year knowing its a make or break year for many people in the organization.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Tenebrous » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:02 pm

FreddieB25 wrote:
silver & black wrote:

Schaub will be fine! As long as they can run the ball and the O-line comes together I see a very productive year from he and the offense. The whole organization will be hungry to have a big year knowing its a make or break year for many people in the organization.

That's not even the point - yes, Schuab was likely the best available veteran QB - but, the point is that the Raiders could of had him for significantly less; the man was going to be cut!! The Raiders could have outbid any team and still have signed him for less than what they are paying him. What's worse is that RM failed to sign Velhdeer and Houston because he was unwilling to pay them, but now RM just pisses away money unnecessarily!

Heck, if RM wanted to piss away money on a QB, it would have been even better to have just kept Palmer.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby FreddieB25 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Aside from Veldheer and Houston getting away the rest of the signings fit needs and make the team better the next couple years. RM has to use a big chunk of that 65 mill this year or receive NFL sanctions so over paying Schaub was no biggie and there were rumors if he was cut loose by Houston he was going to Cleveland.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby bigboy3333 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:21 pm

FreddieB25 wrote:Aside from Veldheer and Houston getting away the rest of the signings fit needs and make the team better the next couple years. RM has to use a big chunk of that 65 mill this year or receive NFL sanctions so over paying Schaub was no biggie and there were rumors if he was cut loose by Houston he was going to Cleveland.

Raiders | Matt Schaub restructures deal
Sun, 23 Mar 2014 17:42:09 -0700

The Oakland Raiders have restructured QB Matt Schaub's contract in order to reduce his 2014 salary and salary cap figure. Schaub will still be able to earn $15 million to $20 million in the next two seasons.
Commen - See more at: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/

Sell the Fucking team Mark Davis!!

bigboy3333
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 2

Postby Tenebrous » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:32 pm

bigboy3333 wrote:
FreddieB25 wrote:Aside from Veldheer and Houston getting away the rest of the signings fit needs and make the team better the next couple years. RM has to use a big chunk of that 65 mill this year or receive NFL sanctions so over paying Schaub was no biggie and there were rumors if he was cut loose by Houston he was going to Cleveland.

The Oakland Raiders have restructured QB Matt Schaub's contract in order to reduce his 2014 salary and salary cap figure. Schaub will still be able to earn $15 million to $20 million in the next two seasons.

Hmm, if that's the case, then it seems clear the Raiders are planning to draft a QB this year because this looks like a one year rental.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby bigboy3333 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Tenebrous wrote:
bigboy3333 wrote:

Hmm, if that's the case, then it seems clear the Raiders are planning to draft a QB this year because this looks like a one year rental.

Yes if he turn out to be another Matt Flynn, but I hope they wait until either the 2rd or 3rd to draft there QB...or better yet wait until 2015.

Sell the Fucking team Mark Davis!!

bigboy3333
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 2

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:17 am

Tenebrous wrote:Hmm, if that's the case, then it seems clear the Raiders are planning to draft a QB this year because this looks like a one year rental.

That is one fucking expensive 1-yr rental.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum