Amateur Hour: Saffold Fails Physical Signs With Rams

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Re: Amateur Hour: Saffold Fails Physical Signs With Rams

Postby 790thSFS » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:18 pm

Your analagy fails because RM is definitely not Kraft nor is he Paul Allen. Whether or not Saffold surprises is somewhat irrelevant. The issue is whether the contract makes sense the day it was signed - clearly it wasn't. Saffold signed a contract with notably less money just hours later.

The real issue here is that Mark Davis stepped in and reversed his GM's decesion. I think its obvious that RM is on his way out or will resign. Then guess what will mark davis go and do? he will listen to all the same fucks who told him to hire RM and hire some other ass clown with no GM experience.

TALK ABOUT BAH!

790thSFS
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Postby RF34 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:07 pm

You must have missed the last line. The analogy is more directed at Snyder/Jones.....obviously

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Postby SoulPatrol » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:53 pm

End of the day doesn't matter this franchise is a POS mixed up joke.

SoulPatrol
First-Stringer
First-Stringer

Postby RF34 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:07 pm

What happened in Oakland

How did one team fail offensive tackle Rodger Saffold on his physical examination, while another team passed him?
Dr. David Chao

The big medical news to surface during the first three days of the 2014 NFL free agency period is without question the drama that unfolded in Oakland on Wednesday regarding offensive tackle Rodger Saffold.

The St. Louis Rams offensive lineman was lured away by the Oakland Raiders thanks to a five-year, $42.5 million contract. However, by Wednesday evening, Saffold’s new contract had voided due to a failed physical, prompting his return to the Rams.

How could something like this happen? Is this incompetence on the part of the Raiders? Is it buyer’s remorse? Is this a situation where the Rams mistreated a former player? Was this a case of Saffold and his agents hiding an injury?

In all likelihood, the answer is none of the above. This is just how business is conducted in the NFL. The Raiders, Rams and Saffold have committed no fault in this process.

I am not privy to any of the negotiations or Saffold’s physical examination. Having served as a head NFL team physician, I have conducted hundreds of these free agent physical exams. I am aware of how medical exams play a role in these signings.

During the three-day window of negotiation prior to free agency, the current team has the distinct advantage of knowing the health of the player. Players cannot have contact with prospective teams until free agency starts, thus, a physical cannot be taken before that.

Saffold ended up back in St. Louis after failing his physical in Oakland. Typically, clubs sign free agents to deals first. Subsequently, the player has to pass a physical. Deals happen so quickly that there is no chance to perform a physical first. This is what happened with the Raiders and it is routine for most free agent signings at the start of the new league year.

Essentially, obtaining a free agent is like buying a house. The free agent and team agree to a contract like a seller and buyer agree to a sales price for a home. Escrow is then opened. The team/buyer is then entitled to an inspection/physical. If the inspection/physical is failed, then escrow is cancelled and the deal is off. This is what happened with Saffold and the Raiders.

Why did the St. Louis doctors pass Saffold on their season-ending physical while the Oakland doctors failed him on their free agent physical? The main reasons would be: 1) Medicine is not absolute, 2) Familiarity changes the picture, and 3) One’s perspective changes the opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, medicine is an art and not a science. Some medical conditions are absolute, while most are relative. A torn ACL is an absolute situation, but a degenerative knee is a relative one. Evaluating the medical status of players is similar to talent evaluation. Some general managers believe that quarterback Johnny Manziel is a high draft pick, while others have their doubts.

Familiarity with an injury can lead to more confidence. Repeat examination and witnessing performance with your own eyes gives one a different viewpoint than a single in-office medical examination. The St. Louis doctors have dealt with Saffold’s shoulder injury for an entire year. The Oakland doctors have seen him one time in a medical setting and are focused on a physical exam and imaging results.

Finally, two clubs can look at the same player from different perspectives, yet have differing opinions. The Rams clearly see the glass as half full. The watched Saffold play all of last regular season without issue. The Raiders clearly see the glass as half empty. They feel Saffold has a labral tear that needs surgery or risks further re-injury.

What injury does Saffold really have? Based on media reports, the offensive tackle suffered a dislocated shoulder in the preseason opener at Cleveland. He missed the next preseason game, but participated in the final two as well as the entire 2013 regular season.

Medically, when a player dislocates his shoulder, the labrum is typically torn. The boney anatomy of the shoulder is like a golf ball on a tee. The ball (head of the humerus) doesn’t tend to stay on the tee (in the socket/glenoid) when the edge of the tee (labrum) is chipped.

Assuming a player at the NFL Scouting Combine was presented with such a labral tear, I would fail him on his physical, but note that he has a correctable problem. I would advise my team that he could still be drafted, but would want them aware of potential surgery. Sometimes the team stays away in these instances, while other times the team chooses to draft and fix the player immediately. A third option would be to draft the prospect and have him play through the upcoming season with a brace before considering future surgery. Each case is unique.

I don’t believe Oakland or their doctors botched this process. The Raiders just weren’t willing to ignore the pre-existing condition. I also don’t believe the Rams or Saffold were hiding anything. Clearly, the Rams believe in Saffold’s shoulder enough to re-sign him. This is just how business is conducted in the NFL.

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Postby Tenebrous » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:35 pm

RF34 wrote:What happened in Oakland

How did one team fail offensive tackle Rodger Saffold on his physical examination, while another team passed him?
Dr. David Chao

The big medical news to surface during the first three days of the 2014 NFL free agency period is without question the drama that unfolded in Oakland on Wednesday regarding offensive tackle Rodger Saffold.

The St. Louis Rams offensive lineman was lured away by the Oakland Raiders thanks to a five-year, $42.5 million contract. However, by Wednesday evening, Saffold’s new contract had voided due to a failed physical, prompting his return to the Rams.

How could something like this happen? Is this incompetence on the part of the Raiders? Is it buyer’s remorse? Is this a situation where the Rams mistreated a former player? Was this a case of Saffold and his agents hiding an injury?

In all likelihood, the answer is none of the above. This is just how business is conducted in the NFL. The Raiders, Rams and Saffold have committed no fault in this process.

I am not privy to any of the negotiations or Saffold’s physical examination. Having served as a head NFL team physician, I have conducted hundreds of these free agent physical exams. I am aware of how medical exams play a role in these signings.

During the three-day window of negotiation prior to free agency, the current team has the distinct advantage of knowing the health of the player. Players cannot have contact with prospective teams until free agency starts, thus, a physical cannot be taken before that.

Saffold ended up back in St. Louis after failing his physical in Oakland. Typically, clubs sign free agents to deals first. Subsequently, the player has to pass a physical. Deals happen so quickly that there is no chance to perform a physical first. This is what happened with the Raiders and it is routine for most free agent signings at the start of the new league year.

Essentially, obtaining a free agent is like buying a house. The free agent and team agree to a contract like a seller and buyer agree to a sales price for a home. Escrow is then opened. The team/buyer is then entitled to an inspection/physical. If the inspection/physical is failed, then escrow is cancelled and the deal is off. This is what happened with Saffold and the Raiders.

Why did the St. Louis doctors pass Saffold on their season-ending physical while the Oakland doctors failed him on their free agent physical? The main reasons would be: 1) Medicine is not absolute, 2) Familiarity changes the picture, and 3) One’s perspective changes the opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, medicine is an art and not a science. Some medical conditions are absolute, while most are relative. A torn ACL is an absolute situation, but a degenerative knee is a relative one. Evaluating the medical status of players is similar to talent evaluation. Some general managers believe that quarterback Johnny Manziel is a high draft pick, while others have their doubts.

Familiarity with an injury can lead to more confidence. Repeat examination and witnessing performance with your own eyes gives one a different viewpoint than a single in-office medical examination. The St. Louis doctors have dealt with Saffold’s shoulder injury for an entire year. The Oakland doctors have seen him one time in a medical setting and are focused on a physical exam and imaging results.

Finally, two clubs can look at the same player from different perspectives, yet have differing opinions. The Rams clearly see the glass as half full. The watched Saffold play all of last regular season without issue. The Raiders clearly see the glass as half empty. They feel Saffold has a labral tear that needs surgery or risks further re-injury.

What injury does Saffold really have? Based on media reports, the offensive tackle suffered a dislocated shoulder in the preseason opener at Cleveland. He missed the next preseason game, but participated in the final two as well as the entire 2013 regular season.

Medically, when a player dislocates his shoulder, the labrum is typically torn. The boney anatomy of the shoulder is like a golf ball on a tee. The ball (head of the humerus) doesn’t tend to stay on the tee (in the socket/glenoid) when the edge of the tee (labrum) is chipped.

Assuming a player at the NFL Scouting Combine was presented with such a labral tear, I would fail him on his physical, but note that he has a correctable problem. I would advise my team that he could still be drafted, but would want them aware of potential surgery. Sometimes the team stays away in these instances, while other times the team chooses to draft and fix the player immediately. A third option would be to draft the prospect and have him play through the upcoming season with a brace before considering future surgery. Each case is unique.

I don’t believe Oakland or their doctors botched this process. The Raiders just weren’t willing to ignore the pre-existing condition. I also don’t believe the Rams or Saffold were hiding anything. Clearly, the Rams believe in Saffold’s shoulder enough to re-sign him. This is just how business is conducted in the NFL.

Sure -- and the fact that Safford's contract was notably better than Branden Albert's and Eugene Monroe's contracts, both proven left tackles, had nothing to do with it. Ok - there's this bridge in NY I would like to sell...

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby Tenebrous » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:45 pm

RF34 wrote:You must have missed the last line. The analogy is more directed at Snyder/Jones.....obviously

Obviously, but also irrelevant. Analogy fails, because the first part of the analogy was missing - Kraft and Allen obviously have solid GM's, while the latter don't. So comparing their actions, as the way to proceed, without recognizing that the Raiders do not have a good GM, obviously fails. I understand you would rather focus on the latter part, for obvious reasons, but Mark Davis effectively made the right call on Safford, so the latter part also fails - unless you want to argue that Snyder/Jones make better decisions, at which point the whole argument falls.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby FreddieB25 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:04 pm

The only defense I have for RM is he is starting from scratch after the deconstruction as well as an inexperienced GM and was desperate to get an O lineman after Veldheer left and failed miserably. He did get Tuck and Woodley and that O lineman from the Jets who isn't that bad. The Raider franchise and brand is down the toilet and it will be hard recruiting free agents to this program. I think he will learn from his mistakes and will do a better job or at least I hope so.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby RF34 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:52 am

Looks like Reggie made the call...

Why the Raiders pulled the contract for Rodger Saffold
Posted on Thursday, March 13 at 11:36am | By Vic Tafur

It was one of the most depressing nights at the Raiders facility in a long time, and that’s saying something given the last 12 years. But Wednesday night, Oakland pulled their offer to their big-free agent signee Rodger Saffold after flying in the offensive lineman’s family for the contract signing and ensuing news conference.

Saffold failed a physical for a torn labrum, sources said, and trainers told general manager Reggie McKenzie and owner Mark Davis that the shoulder wouldn’t heal properly unless he had surgery and three months of rest. That didn’t make Davis very happy, sources said, considering last year first-round pick D.J. Hayden needed surgery upon arrival and acquired quarterback Matt Flynn was also hurt.

The Raiders were then the butts of a lot of jokes after the Rams almost immediately signed their former guard to a five=year deal and said his shoulder was fine. (Saffold, who missed 17 games in four seasons with St. Louis with a variety of injuries, played with the bad shoulder last year, and to some degree all offensive linemen have bad shoulders.)

While the NFL Network reported that Davis made the call to rescind Saffold’s contract offer, sources inside the room make a small distinction: It was McKenzie’s call, but Davis did make very clear that if it was up to the owner, he wouldn’t go through with it

More details later, but I just tweeted out that defensive end Justin Tuck, defensive tackle Jason Hatcher and linebacker Lamarr Woodley were in the Raiders facility, and McKenzie is trying to close the deal and sign all three free agents.

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Previous

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum