The Final Three Games Matter Most for Us

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

The Final Three Games Matter Most for Us

Postby SoulPatrol » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:52 am

I was looking at the rest of the schedule and realized the rest of the year is all division. Wow! I don't remember seeing it like this in a while, if ever. You know, I really want to see how the guys play these last 3 games. To me that will be one of the most important things. I don't really expect us to win any of them, I just don't think we are equipped to beat teams with the personnel of any of the division rivals. I think even fat black Carrot Top would agree with that. I remember when our last good coach Jon Gruden took our teams 8-8 at the beginning of his tenure before the miracle of the Field General (remember #12 - laughable how jerks blamed him for the Super Bowl). What I remember the most of one of those 8-8 seasons is that final season game against Sapp and Keyshawn and the improved TB Bucs. We thrashed them 49-0. The Oakland Raiders had no chance of making the playoffs, or anything, but they came out fighting. They came out kicking and biting.

It was clear to me that the coach had the respect and attention of his time. That was the first time I realized Jon Gruden was going to do something special in Oakland (and he did) in spite of Oakland. Those were great years after huh guys??? I remember beating Shanahan, Shotenheimer (Yes, I remember that was Callahan beating Shottenbooger, but it was Gruden's team), Chiefs, etc. We were clearly the cream of the division and on the road to being a powerhouse before Al alienated Gruden.

The important thing is the players respected their coach, everyone was upbeat, every player played hard!!! To me the final 3 games will show it all. As much as I hate to say it, you can't fire a coach if he still "has" his team! (Well, apparently at least unless his name is Hue). Fat Carrot Top is a moron and should be axed no matter what (come on he's already made millions learning on the job) and I am not high on Allen. However, I could see why a competent owner may only want to replace the GM. Then again MD is not competent and a new GM would really want a new HC.

I tell you guys one thing...If they eff up these last three games, real, real bad, it will be because the management has lost the team! Then the entire fan base Oakland and LA should be calling for the heads of this lousy threesome! Non of you guys should have any excuses and justification left.

Message to the new coaching staff if there is ever one - I have solved the NFL draft secret. Don't draft players with heart conditions, or British basketball and soccer players - different sports bro. Oh wait, maybe other GMs already know this??? Ya think?

SoulPatrol
First-Stringer
First-Stringer
Highscores: 0

Re: The Final Three Games Matter Most for Us

Postby Tenebrous » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:48 am

Good thing RM did not become GM after Gruden's first year or else Gruden would have been one and done in Oakland. Then you would of had those trolls charging fans on other sites for the 'privilege' of posting, and a few others arguing that since this new coach, Gruden, was only 8-8, he deserved to be fired. Bah.

Last edited by Tenebrous on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby SoulPatrol » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:54 am

To give credit where credit is due. Reggie would've never been "Senior Assistant" if Al was around. Before Gruden, we weren't even 8-8. I remember in his first year we were actually 8-4 for a while I think. Then the injuries began...to me the most significant of which was to the Great Eric Allen. Gruden already improved the team significantly the first year...we had something we hadn't had before with Gruden even at 8-8 - H-O-P-E and Progress.

SoulPatrol
First-Stringer
First-Stringer

Postby silver & black » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Ya know what's funny? So many fans think that the Raiders decline has only been the last 10 years. Other than the brief success of the early 2000's, this team has been in decline for the last 25+ years. I love Al...... he's a huge part of why I'm a Raiders fan. But... he made some bad decisions, drafts and acquisitions over that period of time. I'm not about to search for or cite any of them, so, flame away if you must. If you're old enough, you know what I said is the truth.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby FreddieB25 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:16 pm

silver & black wrote:Ya know what's funny? So many fans think that the Raiders decline has only been the last 10 years. Other than the brief success of the early 2000's, this team has been in decline for the last 25+ years. I love Al...... he's a huge part of why I'm a Raiders fan. But... he made some bad decisions, drafts and acquisitions over that period of time. I'm not about to search for or cite any of them, so, flame away if you must. If you're old enough, you know what I said is the truth.

Major contribution to that decline aside from what you mentioned is the Raiders haven't had a viable Quarterback aside from Gannon since Plunkett and especially Stabler. Biggest factor has been the AFC west has gotten better over the last twenty years and the fact Schottenheimer coached KC and San Diego in the division that was 2 losses every year and than throw in Shanahan in Denver for over ten years was another 2 losses every year for the most part. The division progressed with the times and Al Davis didn't. The Fact he could have had Aaron Rodgers and Calvin Johnson in different drafts goes to show you he lost a step as well as he could have had Elway and or Marino when Plunkett was on the decline and look what those guys did for the Broncos and Dolphins for over 15 seasons. Al Davis was top notch from 1963 to 1985, messed up Marcus Allen career in LA, the Bo Jackson injury and the 70's and early 80's rosters got old going into the 90's. Best move he made was bring in Gruden and than Gannon and the west coast offense in 1998. The tuck game, Gruden sold to Tampa and the Super bowl blowout loss was the official decline of Al Davis and it became the worst six or seven years that the NFL had ever seen!! Bad drafts firing coaches and coordinators every 5 minutes will cause this.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Tenebrous » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:17 pm

silver & black wrote:Ya know what's funny? So many fans think that the Raiders decline has only been the last 10 years. Other than the brief success of the early 2000's, this team has been in decline for the last 25+ years. I love Al...... he's a huge part of why I'm a Raiders fan. But... he made some bad decisions, drafts and acquisitions over that period of time. I'm not about to search for or cite any of them, so, flame away if you must. If you're old enough, you know what I said is the truth.

Maybe so, but those Gannon/Gruden years were sweet indeed.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby Tenebrous » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:07 pm

FreddieB25 wrote:

Major contribution to that decline aside from what you mentioned is the Raiders haven't had a viable Quarterback aside from Gannon since Plunkett and especially Stabler. Biggest factor has been the AFC west has gotten better over the last twenty years and the fact Schottenheimer coached KC and San Diego in the division that was 2 losses every year and than throw in Shanahan in Denver for over ten years was another 2 losses every year for the most part. The division progressed with the times and Al Davis didn't. The Fact he could have had Aaron Rodgers and Calvin Johnson in different drafts goes to show you he lost a step as well as he could have had Elway and or Marino when Plunkett was on the decline and look what those guys did for the Broncos and Dolphins for over 15 seasons. Al Davis was top notch from 1963 to 1985, messed up Marcus Allen career in LA, the Bo Jackson injury and the 70's and early 80's rosters got old going into the 90's. Best move he made was bring in Gruden and than Gannon and the west coast offense in 1998. The tuck game, Gruden sold to Tampa and the Super bowl blowout loss was the official decline of Al Davis and it became the worst six or seven years that the NFL had ever seen!! Bad drafts firing coaches and coordinators every 5 minutes will cause this.

Didn't Davis try to get Elway?

Also, firing coaches is not the problem per se - if the Raiders make bad hires, better to fix them quicker rather than later, but, more importantly, do not fire good coaches. See RM.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby SoulPatrol » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:44 pm

No doubt Al had lost his mind. Art Shell, Art Shell 2, the screwage of Shanahan, the screwage of Lombardi, the Kiffin fiasco, the Bugel fiasco, the screwage of Marcus Allen, etc, etc, etc.

SoulPatrol
First-Stringer
First-Stringer

Postby silver & black » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:14 am

Didn't Davis try to get Elway?

Yes. Rozzelle nixed the trade if I remember correctly.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby FreddieB25 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:00 am

Elway and Marino revitalized the Fish and Mule while the Raiders during that span had an aging Plunkett, erratic, Marc Wilson, Beurelein for a cup of coffee, Jay Schroeder, a decent jeff Hostetler and bum Jeff George, Elway and Marino retire at end of 90's and we get Gannon and revitalized the Raiders for about 4 years. That 83' draft and not getting Elway and Marino was huge especially the fact we could have had one of them.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum